Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life (100 Ways)


No doubt you've seen this meme around Blogland. I started noticing it last winter and promised myself I'd participate. One of these days, I said. Today's the day. Warning: It's loooooooooong. Bennie and I are about to leave for a little vacation to Chicago and Lake Michigan, and I didn't want to leave you bereft of reading material. Feel free to drop in and read a few items, then come back and read more. And more. And more. It's a list of 100 things a person might have done in one's life. The idea is to copy and paste the same list, then put in bold the things you've done already. And you know me. I have to illustrate my memes.

1. Started my own blog (Truth be told, I found this blog in the parking lot of Denny's. Possession is, however, 9/10 of the law.)
2. Slept under the stars (Yup. In the Rockies, in Yosemite, on the beach beside the Pacific, and occasionally on the trampoline in my back yard in New Mexico. Long story.)

Camping in the Rockies with Trudy.

3. Played in a band (No, but I used to sing in a church choir. They took anyone who could "make a joyful noise.")
4. Visited Hawaii (We went there on our honeymoon. My favorite memory is sitting in the shade of a huge banyan tree, eating breakfast and drinking Kona coffee. At the time I didn't realize that the banyan tree was an omen of the roots we would be putting down, far sooner than we realized. Our firstborn would arrive a little over 9 months later.)


5. Watched a meteor shower (And I once spied on an asteroid taking a bath.)
6. Given more than I can afford to charity (Do you realize what gallery ownership is about? Commercial landlords are my least favorite charity, but they've twisted my arm to contribute to their cause for better than 24 years now.)
7. Been to Disneyland/world (When the kids were little, we traveled down the California coast, stopping along the way to camp on the beach, winding up at Disneyland and Universal Studios.)


8. Climbed a mountain (The closest I've come is hiking down the Vernal Falls trail and back up in Yosemite. That hardly qualifies, but doing that with one child in a stroller and another by the hand does qualify as an adventure, don't you think?)

9. Held a praying mantis (Why would I want to do that? Aren't they the ones who mate and tear their partner's head off?)
10. Sung a solo (Yes, when Oakley was a toddler and had stitches put in his head, I sang solo after solo, my face as near his as possible, unnerving the ER physician. "Well, somehow we got that done," he said, "despite the singing."
11. Bungee jumped (Are you f'in' kidding????)
12. Visited Paris (Oui.)

13. Watched lightning at sea (From the window of my motel room.)
14. Taught myself an art from scratch (The fine art of answering memes.)
15. Adopted a child (Only if you count our dog Trudy, adopted from the shelter in 1999.)
16. Had food poisoning (I must have, but I honestly can't recall an incident. And I've eaten in divey border towns as well as at Denny's. Guess my immune system is cast iron.)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty (I'm more of a sidelines kind of person. I've looked at it from afar, from the Staten Island Ferry.)
18. Grown my own vegetables (A few tomatoes, some green onions and jalapenos, and some actual corn. My husband is the gardener. I'm a sidelines kind of person. But the garden's on my land too. Possession is 9/10 of the law.)

Bennie's High Desert Garden

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (From the eighteenth row back, in a frenzied, picture-taking mob of Japanese tourists. And it may not have even been the actual Mona Lisa. To protect the real deal, they trot out replicas. You never know if what you see is what you get.)
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight (I was the featherweight champion of that train.)
22. Hitchhiked (Once while walking in my own subdivision, I got lost and flagged down a guy to ask directions. He drove me home. )
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (Unless you want to include mental. Every day is a mentally ill day, for me.)
24. Built a snow fort (What's a snow fort? Why not a sand castle?)

25. Held a lamb (chop)
26. Gone skinny dipping (If a hot tub counts.)
27. Run a Marathon (But I've cheered my husband over the finish line.)


28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (I am going to get to Italy. One of these days.)
29. Seen a total eclipse (Of business in 2009.)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (Every morning and every evening, from our deck.)

31. Hit a home run (Who? Me?)
32. Been on a cruise (Only up the Potomac. And around San Francisco Bay. And on the Staten Island Ferry.)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (I've flown over Wichita Falls.)
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors (I'll get to the Garden of Eden. Watch me.)
35. Seen an Amish community (I saw that movie with Kirstie Alley.)
36. Taught myself a new language (I know some Spanish. Enough to make my way around a hotel room in Chihuahua.)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (OK, I can pretend, can't I?)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David (I will. I will.)
41. Sung karaoke (Not on my to-do list, but I admire it in others.)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt (in song, in a karaoke bar, in Oakley, Kansas.)


43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
(Never mind. That's my husband and my son.
But if he puts his hand in that water,
I'm going to act like I never saw him before in my life.)

44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (On the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean. Now, to make it to the Mediterranean...)
46. Been transported in an ambulance (No, but I did have to climb into one and be checked out by paramedics after a car accident. That was close enough.)
47. Had my portrait painted (Sketched. Twice. Never painted. Unless you count my very abstract Self-Portrait.)
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person (I will. I will.)
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (As opposed to the Eiffel Tower in Las Cruces?)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud (I recommend combining Numbers 52 & 53.)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater (When we moved to Santa Fe, we were delighted to discover the Yucca Drive-In. We saw The Lion King there with the kids. Sadly, the Yucca closed soon thereafter. Now, tell me the truth. Does that sign really look like a yucca?)

55. Been in a movie (When the kids were little, we wrote, directed, produced, and acted in our own action/adventure video. Sadly, it was a bomb at the box office. Never even made it to the Yucca.)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (We've had our gallery since 1985. And as a kid I had one hell of a profitable lemonade stand.)
58. Taken a martial arts class (But in San Francisco I rented a house from a guy named Bruce Lee.)
59. Visited Russia (No, but if I ever make it to Alaska...)
60. Served at a soup kitchen (I've prepared food for a homeless shelter, but I didn't serve it.)
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (But I've bought, and eaten, them aplenty. Chocolate mint rules!)
62. Gone whale watching (Never. One for the bucket list I guess.)
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (I should. I'm O negative, the universal donor. And I've been on the receiving end after a spell of anemia. Talk about a precious gift. Even better than flowers for no reason.)
65. Gone sky diving (I won't. I won't.)
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp (I probably will one of these days. It must be a profound experience.)
67. Bounced a check (After we sold our house in California, we deposited the proceeds in a bank in Santa Fe. The teller put a hold on the out-of-state funds. She meant to put a 10-day hold, but she typed an extra zero and held up everything for 100 days. Yes, there was a whole lot of bouncing going on.
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy up until my late 20s (Make that late 50s. I still have the little stuffed white dog with black ears I used to have to hug to fall asleep. (Bennie isn't too jealous.) My own daughter held that dog and now it's in storage for a grandchild down the way. And I have a collection of Troll dolls from the 60s. Remember those wild-haired things? And Flannery now decorates her kitchen with my Deluxe Dream Kitchen circa 1962. And I have my original Barbie Doll and my Ken Doll (who's actually developed a bald spot and a resemblance to our friend Eric)...and...


70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial (Jefferson too.)
71. Eaten caviar (I personally don't see the big deal. Guess I'm a phlebian.)
72. Pieced a quilt (But both my grandmothers passed down to me some lovely hand-made quilts of their own creation, including one made by my great-grandmother. I live in a passive solar suffused with sunlight, and so I have to keep my beautiful, fragile quilts hidden away most of the time.)
Young Flannery, practicing head lifting,
on a quilt made by her great-grandmother.

73. Stood in Times Square (I even walked around the place.)
74. Toured the Everglades (As a young adult, with my parents.)
75. Been fired from a job (That's the disadvantage of being self-employed. I can't fire myself!)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London (No, but I used to work at a gallery across from the Sir Francis Drake in San Francisco. The doormen wore Beefeater Guard outfits. I watched them go off duty.)
77. Broken a bone (My toe. Three times. The third time was the charm.)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (How do you think I broke my toe? Just kidding.)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person (Everything, I mean everything, it's cracked up to be.)


80. Published a book (No, but I've published my writing in literary journals.)
81. Visited the Vatican (But I will get to Italy. One of these days. Keep reminding me.)
82. Bought a brand new car (Not anywhere near what it's cracked up to be. I'd rather save my money for paintings.)
83. Walked in Jerusalem (Little Jerusalem, aka Ave Maria Grotto, a replica of the Holy Land near Huntsville, Alabama.)

84. Had my picture in the newspaper (Several times. The first time was when I was a third-grader, touring the phone company. I've been a publicity hound ever since.)
85. Read the entire Bible (Not all of it, but I did walk in Little Jerusalem.)
86. Visited the White House (Only the areas that used to be available on public tours. I'm still awaiting that West Wing invitation.)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating

A sampling of wild game. Hunted, killed, dressed, baked.

88. Had chickenpox (And measles and mumps. I grew up before those vaccinations existed. Did I mention I'm old?)
89. Saved someone’s life (Only my own. I make it a practice to stay out of the trajectory of falling meteorites.)
91. Met someone famous (Just this past Sunday Jane Lynch, of Christopher Guest movies fame, and 2 1/2 Men fame, popped into the gallery.)

Charlie Sheen's shrink. A juicy role.

92. Joined a book club (Several friends and I used to meet monthly at each others' homes for a potluck and book discussion. We were in far-flung locations. Los Alamos to Eldorado to Chupadero. The commute became a grind and we wound up reading our books in solitude.)
93. Lost a loved one (Yes. My father, all of my grandparents, all of my uncles and aunts, a cousin. Some friends. It's a hazard of growing older, losing people.)
94. Had a baby (Two times, and by natural childbirth.)

95. Seen the Alamo in person (No. But I've seen Los Alamos in person. See #92.)
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake (No! I'm too afraid of turning into a right-wing Republican. There's definitely something in the water up there.)
97. Been involved in a law suit (Small claims court. Twice. Sued a shipping company and a landlord. And I've filed a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of California. Don't mess with me, people!)
98. Owned a cell phone (Aren't I special?)
99. Been stung by a bee (And I once accidentally stepped on a dead wasp with bare feet. I still got stung. The nerve!)
100. Ridden an elephant (It's a crucial part of my morning routine, right after coffee.)

92 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

That's what I call ambitious! Fun to read....

San said...

That's a nice name for it, Lori.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Fun sense of humor. You have a zest for life San. I enjoyed reading this, and appreciated the illustrations. Enjoy your vacation.

b2 said...

Fun, San! Thanks for sharing!

San said...

Leslie, thanks for plowing through it. That takes some zest. Some vim and vigor.

San said...

Wow, b2, I didn't expect to hear from you while you're on the road. Nice surprise.

Lynette said...

San I enjoyed reading your post, you've been to some wonderful places and done some exciting things! Have a fun time on your trip!

San said...

Thanks, Lynette. We're looking forward to a little relaxation.

david mcmahon said...

Love it, San.

Are you related to Mrs Authorblog? You must be. Her attitude towards the garden at Casa Authorblog is pretty much a mirror of your view!

p said...

i think i'm most impressed by the publication of your writing :)
i wouldn't have had more than 2 bolds in the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

JANE LYNCH - OMG
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(I skimmed your post and will come back to read when I have more time)

San met Jane Lynch.

San said...

Kindred spirits, David. What color is HER thumb?

San said...

Paula, that's why you have to re-interpret the questions. Like I did.

San said...

Dar, Oakley was in the gallery that day, so we both met her. Wish you'd been there too!

Preity Angel... said...

Wow San, seems like you went to so many places thats cool. I hope you will get a good relax.. San, you are really good in writing and your paintings. Keep it up. I hope one day I will get chance to see you in person.

Celebration of Life said...

I read all 100 of them and loved them all! You are so very talented in so many ways!

San said...

Angel, I hope to meet you some day too. That would be lovely.

San said...

Jo, you are a real friend in so many ways. Thank you.

Sabi Sunshine said...

I enjoyed reading it ... so cool..... you really inspire me to go somewhere..

San said...

Sabi, sometimes we just need to get up and go somewhere, don't we?

Unknown said...

Hey San, sent over here by 'blog mom' Daryl LOL! You know I am pretty certain I have stopped by before on my travels, maybe from David Authorblog, could that be right?

I enjoyed you list, it made me smile alot and yes you MUST get to Italy. It is without doubt my fave country in the world, I have seen the Sistene and ridden a gondola in Venice and they are bothg essentials. Plus with your love of art, you would truly be in Eden!

One of the main reasons we are off to Chicago is for me to get a culture kick. Having lived in the London area most of my life, I was a museum whore and really miss that here in Okieland. I am actually meeting up with another blogger whilst there Expat Mum, another Brit expat and author.

Off to read around a bit more :-)

Shrinky said...

Ah san, you are indeed a lady of many depths. I've also realised a few of the things listed here - yup, even the sky-diving! (Grin)

Whatever age you might eventually reach, you,dear girl, will eternally be young. Enjoy your new adventure, be sure to tell us all about it upon your return?

Frank said...

I must admit I haven't finished reading your entire list yet, but wow, that is ambitious and terribly fun. Is there an award if one finshes just reading it?

Thank you for visitng Tampa Daily Florida (from Lori's site - I'm a big fan of the Skoogs. Their world is so, so different from mine here and that's what makes the blogger world so amazing.)

Do visit Tampa again, soon.

Frank said...

After inviting you to visit Tampa again I clicked off before telling you how incredibly magnificent Santa Fe is. When I read your post about transforming yourself all I could think of was becoming a photographer (or painter, potter, carver, whatever!) in Santa Fe, and, oh why not, own my own gallery on San Fransico and enjoy the plaza, Photo Eye bookstore and coffee shop every day. And marvel at the colors of the sky, sunsets, buildings, doors, your paintings. Glorious and perfect.

Glad I found your site.

SandyCarlson said...

That's quite a list. I started the read. The trampoline must offer some nice support.

Lee said...

Wow, San! You've lived a really full life! Have fun on your travels and hope to hear lots of cool stories when you get back!

Love,
Lee

soulbrush said...

thanks for your visit, enjoyed reading these.

San said...

Brit Gal, thanks for visiting and thanks to Daryl for sending you here. She sent me a link to your blog and I will certainly be headed that way. I hope to learn exactly when you're going to be in Chicago.

Thank you for spurring me on to find a way to get to Italy. Yes, I believe it might be my Eden.

:-D

San said...

Shrinky, why am I not surprised you've skydived? I believe your life is just one big JUMP. Of faith.

San said...

Frank, I'm glad you made your way over here. An award for those who plow their way through this post? That's a great idea. I suppose I'll have to post a pop quiz to discern the worthy ones.

Lori's world is very different from New Mexico too. Much, much greener, for sure.

It sounds like you're ready to move to the City Different and re-invent yourself. I was going to tell you that a photography gallery down the way has vacated their premises, but today I saw brown paper on the windows and the FOR RENT sign was down. An indicator of a new business coming in. There are other vacancies, however. :-D

San said...

Sandy, the trampoline offers cool mountain air on a hot summer's night. Or it did. The space it used to occupy is now filled by the hot tub. A vessel of warmth on a cold winter's night.

San said...

Thanks, Lee!

I'll probably come back with too many stories.

Love to you...

San said...

Soulbrush, thanks for stopping by. Please visit me again.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

What a fabulous list!!! I'm so glad you did this!!! It's so great to get to know you better!!! Hurrah!!! And have a wonderful time in Chicago!!!! Is is a convention? We'll see you when you get back! Cheers! ~Janine XO

~Babs said...

98,99, 100!
And I enjoyed each one,,,you wild and crazy girl!
Somehow backpacks and strollers don't quite seem to go together,,but I see the smile.
Here's to Chicago,,,I'm sure you plan to take in some of the great art attractions there.
Love the Oakley & Oakley sign.

San said...

Janine, I am happy to report there is no convention! Just relaxation, mainly up in Michigan near the lake, after a couple of days of getting our city fix.

San said...

Babs, I'll bet you've seen that Oakley sign in person. Art attractions in Chicago--I hear there's a new wing on the Art Institute. And the concerts in Millennium Park are wondrous--the setting as well as the music.

The backpack and the stroller--one of those events you're glad to remember but not anxious to relive.

Jameil said...

i read 25 and i'll come back periodically for the rest! love your interpretation of lamb. just like mine! lol @ "Well, somehow we got that done," he said, "despite the singing." hahaha. sleeping on an overnight train sounds so cool! (unless it stops... and i know how trains stop frequently... stops wake me up always.

andrea said...

This is the BEST interpretation of this meme I've seen so far! Even illustrated! When my life slows downs I promise to do it. Will you prod me? (And if you do I promise to prod you to donate that precious 0neg blood!)

Raven said...

As always, totally enjoyable. I loved the illustrations. Just fun and made me laugh which as you know I very much need to do right now.

I have seen this meme before and always thought it rather boring. Until now. Fun read through and through.

Hope you have a fun trip.

Anonymous said...

I loved this list, and this whimsical answer! Making a list like this always makes me feel rich :)!

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy up until my late 20s (Make that late 50s.

JS said...

A fantastic journey with you :) I hope you have/had a wonderful vacation. I've never actually stayed in Chicago, only the unfortunate 'pleasure' of driving it's expressways :(

Tessa said...

What a truly wonderful life - I loved every moment of sharing that with you!

San said...

Jameil, I'm glad you made it as far as you did and I look forward to your reading the rest of the epic.

San said...

Andrea, agreed. We will be co-prodders. Much healthier than co-dependents.

San said...

Raven, that makes me feel good, knowing you laughed a bit. I hope you're feeling better and I appreciate your good wishes for our trip. xo

San said...

You're right, Things we Carried. It's kind of a way of counting the blessings, childhood toys and all.

San said...

JS, we haven't left yet. Chicago is a great town, but you're right--the driving is unbelievable. That's why I don't drive there.

San said...

Tessa, and I've enjoyed your visit. Thank you!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

San,

Yes...I thought it might be funny to sign up to follow and then, disappear...but since you are so lovely, and seem to understand...I will leave my picture here after all. God bless you! Love to you and your family! ~Janine XO

San said...

Janine, we all need an offline sabbatical from time to time. May yours be replenishing.

Love to you and yours too. I'm glad your picture will be here to remind me to stop in...I'll water the plants when I do.

murat11 said...

It ain't illustrated, but it's done...

San said...

Paschal, I shouda known you'd be the first to take the challenge...headed over...

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, I just knew you were a kindred spirit!!!! Thank you!!!! I'm so sorry to sign up and then disappear!!! But I'm so glad you understand...You are the best!!!! Looking forward to seeing you when I return!!!! ~Janine XO

San said...

Janine, kindred spirits--YES!

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to being offline during my vacation.

xo

Sujatha Bagal said...

San, it was a pleasure to read. And you'd included interesting tid-bits with each of the 100, so it was even more fun!

Thanks for visiting my blog (the post on Carly Simon). Hope you come back soon.

Have a great trip!

Carol said...

I'm late in getting here and can't think of much to add to all of the comments you've received, so "What they said".

Really, though, I did have fun traversing through your many adventures.

You may be traveling as I write this. I hope that your journey is relaxing. I bet you will bring back more fun stories to share.

Akelamalu said...

Well I read them all in one go San and enjoyed them immensely! I love the photographs you have interspersed with the meme too, especially the one of you near the end with your bambino! :)

Akelamalu said...

Well I read them all in one go San and enjoyed them immensely! I love the photographs you have interspersed with the meme too, especially the one of you near the end with your bambino! :)

Just Be Real said...

My goodness girl you put a lot of time in this post! Must be exhausted. How long did it take you to do this one post? Very encouraging and exzillarating (like that spelling). Wow, I am tired just reading it all.

Blessings dear one!

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I couldn't help stealing this Meme for my own blog :)

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

This is the meme of all time! Loved seeing the photos of you and family and for God's sake get yourself to Italy!

San said...

Thanks, Sujatha. I'm glad you weren't daunted by the length.

I look forward to visiting you blog more often.

San said...

Carol, I'll leave really early tomorrow morning. I do hope to bring back stories.

San said...

Akelamalu, thanks for throwing yourself in! You're a woman of stamina and grace.

San said...

And, Akelamalu, I loved reading your comment again. Sometimes the blogger glitches can be fun.

San said...

Just Be Real, I worked on the post in bits and pieces, from time to time. I guess that's why it's so long. Probably more tiring to read than it was to write. Thank you for going the distance! And thank you for the blessings.

San said...

Indi, I'm glad you performed that act of larceny. I believe that's what this meme is about.

San said...

Mary Ann, for God's sake I must get there!!! Thank you for the reminder. That kind of nagging I adore.

Sandi McBride said...

What a wonderful MEME...I just loved the game you hunted killed and dressed...can I have a cup of coffee with mine? You are fun, girl! As for your Hollyhock, you may have to cage that beauty (I want to see a picture of it, the idea of that Hollyhock...I want SEEDS!!!
hugs
Sandi

San said...

Sandi, IF the hollyhock is here after we return from vacation--we leave tomorrow morning--I'll send you a picture, or even post it on the blog. My husband used to cage all of the hollyhocks, then the gophers began eating them from the roots up--just like in Loony Tunes cartoons. Underground fencing helped a lot. But now this one daredevil has taken to climbing, so maybe underground fencing AND a cage are in order. Maximum security hollyhocks.

Jameil said...

not like any yucca i've seen! the birthplace of my ancestors will have to count as jasper county, ms and robeson county, nc since i can't trace back much further than my great-grandparents. (the double greats are kind of hazy-- something i plan to rectify this summer.) i have no desire to run a marathon. i was up regularly for sunrise when i worked overnights. i miss it but not enough to see it again unless i'm still awake from the night before. i wanna go to italy, too!

Dave King said...

72 Comments says it all (73 now!). More than well deserved. And for your next trick...? I really envied you quite a few times along the way. Most of all at The Grand Canyon.

aims said...

Wowza San! Well done!

Thumbelina said...

San that is a wonderful list. You tell it so WELL girl! I loved #30 - your sunrise and sunset every day. wow. I'm right with ya on #34 - I intend to get to the Garden of Eden too. I chuckled at #50 and scratching my head for where ELSE the Eiffel Tower would be! And I have NEVER seen a Yucca looking like the one in #54. Finally the picture of you and baby in #94 - is it you? I think so. It's gorgeous.
I really enjoyed reading that.

Now - my turn. I tagged you with a photo meme. You don't have to do it, but it is quite fun and pretty effortless. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but I thought you'd like it. It might be one you've done before, I can't remember. Have a look when you get time anyway.

DILLY said...

MWEAH! LOTS kwestchuns! Mummy mite do, but mite not as seem be mostly bowt Merrykan things.

San!
San!
come see Dilly's video!

Fnarr!

¬"

lime said...

you are so fun when you do these. come visit me and we will take you to an amish community. i could even take you to nazareth, bethelehem and emmaus...though not jerusalem.

myonlyphoto said...

San you are something else, and the funny thing is that I see lot of similiarities, btw you met bruce lee '58. Taken a martial arts class (But in San Francisco I rented a house from a guy named Bruce Lee.)' - he was my role model, lol, when I was young, and now since I have husband I had to abandon him, lol. Excellent post San I love it, I may come back later too. Anna :)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Do those Japanese tourists camp out in front of the Mona Lisa? They always seem to be there. lol. What a thorough post!

I had food poisoning once, from a chili dog. I had a little baby and was so sick I had to call my dad and step mom over to care for the little guy. I literally crawled on the floor to get to the phone so I could call them.

Meg Wolff said...

San,
I've only just started reading this post, but it says to me, "have more fun!" The plan begins!!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Speaking of marathons...

That's all pretty impressive. I'd say you've been around the block at least a time and a half!

The last time I went whale watching (from shore on the Oregon Coast), I was with my (at the time future) in-laws. I'll never forget that. The California gray whales were out in force. We could see spouts plus some noses and tails. When I pointed them out to my (future) in-laws, my mother-in-law said, "Whales! How delicious! It's making me hungry!"

Bloody well freaked everyone out when I translated.

They were even more freaked out when she said the same thing about a clump of kelp we happened upon a little later...

david mcmahon said...

Hope you're enjoying the beautiful weather there, San. It's our winter solstice today (Monday).

Jameil said...

I definitely enjoy the parenthetical statements the most. Lol. If you ever go to Alaska... lololol. I miss my book club. :( owned a cell phone?? How does that fall in the same list as ridden an elephant? Lol.

Deb said...

I truly enjoyed reading this and learning so much about you.I love your sense of humor. You know how to live life with gusto - not just a spectator. Celebrate each day!

Mizzholborow said...

This is so inspiring and written with such light and witty humour! :)
I want to make a list like this now...I'll be following, I find your blog so accessible to read and so funny :)

xxx

Casdok said...

An interesting list. I have only broken my toe twice. So am not looking forward to the 3rd time!

Preity Angel... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Preity Angel... said...

HOpe you are enjoying your vacations..

take care

Anonymous said...

We've both been in Times Square and I actually went to the top of the Statue of Liberty. What a fantastic list! I've done many of those things.

Another Q said...

I enjoyed your post. I enjoyed getting to know you a bit more so I decided to copy and past your list and highlight the ones I have also done.
This turned out to be a fun activity for me. I hope others will also copy it and highlight their own...I enjoy the process of getting to know people better and this is a great way to do that.

Patty said...

What an extraordinary journey your life has been so far. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into the life of San. You're a remarkable story teller and I love how you find just the right photographs to compliment each adventure. I hope you and Benny are enjoying your vacation. ~Patty

Oaks said...

Like this a lot mom.